View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Agreed.

Perhaps at a minimum 2 reversible lanes with few exits. The bulk of the traffic is generated in Denver, IMO, that goes through Eisenhower tunnel. Perhaps 3 or 4 exit/entrances between the Tunnel and US 6, east of Georgetown.

Between US 6 and I-25 and I-70 and Georgetown, perhaps a more humble addition of one extra lane on the uphill side of hills in the direction traffic.

I also believe that more 3 lane passing sections should be built along US 6 between I-70 and Golden.

I also agree that the two lanes should not be tolled.
You know, some sort of reversible lane implementation on I-70 from Floyd Hill to Vail seems to make a heck of a lot of sense for the mountains because the one way traffic is so easy to predict, unlike say in Denver or on US 36 where there is no clear cut "bad" direction to travel at a certain time.

In the "off" direction, 2 lanes seems to cut it just fine, and probably will for quite some time to come. If they expanded one more lane on each side, but during peak hours were somehow able to convert one of the lanes from the "off" direction traffic to be used for the high flow direction I would think it could go a very long way to alleviating congestion.

This would still require expansion of the entire corridor to 6 lanes though, that's a given. We can't ask for one way to go to 1 lane, because trucks would muck everything up, but if we expanded the highway and allowed for reversible lanes, even if only for key sections, how could that not help tremendously? Basically you are getting an 4 lane expansion for the price of 2 maybe 3 max due to the special signage and crossovers that would be required.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."