View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

So the info on the Rock Tour Database site says the New Year's Eve party was on December 31, 1966, so where did you get the info Spectrum officially opened on August 16, 1967?
(I subsequently looked at the Getty link, which says at the top that the opening was August 17, 1967, but in the information section it says July 17, 1967.)

I'm not saying you're wrong on any of this Noir_Noir, I've just spent a few days reading so many conflicting dates and such that I want to get my timeline post as accurate as possible...eventually.

The banner in e_r's original Spectrum 2000 picture shows August 17th as the opening date. It also appears in the getty images picture.

I went with the banner on the club's wall - the getty images dating info is more often wrong than right.

The Mad Mod Party poster mentions KRLA dj Rhett Hamilton Walker. He joined the station in the Fall of 1967, ruling out a 1966 date for the poster.

Have you happened upon this version of the Ciro's timeline?

Google Books - The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy

It throws some new names into the mix -

[1957] - Ciro's badly damaged in a fire.

Property foreclosed, sold at auction to a bank, handed over to Frank Sennes.

[???] - Reopened as The New Ciro's. Short-lived.

[1961] - Le Crazy Horse Dance Contests and European type showgirls. Short lived.

[???] - The Bed-Room Singers and hypnotists. Short-lived.

[1967] - Ciro's Booking black acts exclusively.

[1970] - Ciro's Jr. Operated by comedian Duke Mitchell.

Not sure how accurate it is but likely some leads to follow up.