View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:39 AM

Well, Noir_Noir, you've beat me with a couple photos below...I've been working on this post all week! I didn't know it was going to get so involved!

Prologue:

Before I begin this post about what was at the Ciro's location after it closed, I want to correct a couple things. The wikipedia page on Ciro's says this: It was transformed into a rock and roll club in 1965 called Ciro's Le Disc and renamed The Kaleidoscope in 1967. In 1968, it became a Sunset Strip rock and roll club which was called "It's Boss". It became The Comedy Store in 1972.

1.) It was definitely Le Disc before 1965.
2.) The Kaleidoscope was a club at Frank Sennes' Moulin Rouge location. See a photo of it: HERE, from Hollywood Historic Photos. I don't know for sure if it opened in 1967, but they have the photo dated 1968.
3.) "It's Boss" was open as early as September 1965.

A post on Tumblr by Nina Berry says at one time Ciro's was a place called Crazy Horse, before It's Boss. The only Crazy Horse reference I can find along these lines is that Neil Young played with a band called Crazy Horse at the Roxy in 1973.

https://nina-berry.tumblr.com/post/4...-the-1940s-los

Ciro's: 1940-1957

After Ciro's closed, I was trying to figure out all the names it had until The Comedy Store opened.

There was an auction in 1958.

JHGraham

The dates/years of what came next vary by a year or two any place you look, and many places who post about these years say "at some point" or "after such and such" or are "conflicting" so I hesitate to put any specific dates, but I believe what follows is the correct order. But as I learned just yesterday, there could even be more.

Frank Sennes, who also operated the Moulin Rouge on Sunset Blvd., owned Ciro's for awhile. There's some writing that he called it The New Ciro's (I find no evidence of that in photos or ads.) He may have just used his name and the Ciro's name as in this photo. I can verify no information as yet as to what was going on at the location from 1960-64.

It's easier to verify the timeline of the Hotel, which, as HossC noted in a previous post, opened in...1963.

1963-1966: Gene Autry's Hotel Continental.

The photo below is dated 1964. I used this one to show the marquee of Ciro's which is at left below center.
There are no acts listed on the white square, but above it, it says Frank Sennes Ciro's. (On the front
marquee of the hotel facing Sunset Blvd., where it says Hotel Continental, the white strip you see off to
the left a little says "Gene Autry's"... I saw it up close in a photo facing the other direction. Click HERE to see it.)

Then at some point the place was called, Le Disc, but Frank Sennes name and Ciro's name remained so you're apt to find acts and ads referring to the place as Le Disc, Ciro's Le Disc or all three: Frank Sennes' Ciro's Le Disc.

Some ads and writers have spelled it Le Disque in reviews...and online posts spell it that way sometimes, I've noticed.

Early references say that The Byrds got their start at Le Disc, most say in 1964, but this L.A. Times article, HERE says it was 1965.

This photo shows the colorful marquee...and to the right the Hotel Continental sign.

OldShowBiz

The above is most likely dated 1964 as George & Teddy and the Condors released this Live album in 1964:

Discogs

Dick Dale & the Deltones also released a Live from Ciro's Album in 1965.

This particular ad in the Friday, March 12, 1965, edition of the Valley Times has all three names listed:
Frank Sennes Ciro's Le Disc:

Newspapers.com

(Jimi Hendrix may have played here with Little Richard. Jimi stated in the June 15, 1969, interview with Nancy Carter that he played Ciro's with Little Richard.) EarlyHendrix
_______

In the June 18, 1965 edition of the Los Angeles Free Press, there's a small ad that only says: AFRO-BLUES QUINTET, The Living Room, 8433 Sunset Strip. LINK

[The Living Room is noted in HossC's post of the names listed in the 1968 and 1969 CD's. Perhaps it's one of the performing "rooms" at this address.)
_______

By the end of 1965 the place was called "It's Boss," as verified by this review of Sonny & Cher playing there:

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

Here are some shots of the place with it's new moniker, IT'S BOSS:

(According to the lineup ad above on the right, The Regents were a house band that played every night. Also note the address has an extra "4" in it.)

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

GarageHangover

IF YOU CLICK ON EITHER OF THESE PHOTOS YOU'LL GET A LARGER SIZE.
MAYBE SOMEONE CAN DECIPHER SOME OF THE MARQUEE.

_______

(cont'd.)