View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
On Alexan on Krog we can agree.
I'ts like no effort whatsoever was put into making the building attractive. My personal pet peeve is when they make the first level brick with the rest of the building being crap.

While its probably unrealistic to expect something unique in a five story apartment building, I also agree that the architects of these projects should consider the context of the surroundings.
My point exactly. Surely rents don't need to hit $3 a foot before people will cover the entire building in brick and perhaps put in larger windows that mimic older industrial buildings. I'm not opposed to the scale or even the layout of the projects, I just hate that they look completely out of context. In my mind it doesn't require some stroke of genius or a blank check to make a 5 story building look like it actually belongs in a particular neighborhood.

525 North is a great example of the developer doing this right for that area. Just going ground to ceiling with brick (or in that case terracotta blocks) and adding some long narrow windows creates some sense of identity consistent with the surroundings.