View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 PM

Personally, (and admittedly I am not usually a driver and I'm not down to Moncton often, so I don't really count in two respects), I wouldn't be against cities being able to apply basic standards to private (rented) parking.

Standards like:

* Must have gated entrance (Automated or manned)
* Must be paved
* Must have marked parking spots. (Numbered/labelled/assigned parking is optional)

Similarly, even public parking would at least need to be paved with marked spots; gates optional.

Basically, there should be no more of this "Tear down a building, cover the lot with gravel and rent it out for parking."

And if/when we do get into those situations where a building is torn down, then access to the lot should be blocked with a permanent blockade (chain, boulders, whatever across the driveway(s)) until the site is repurposed. That way, the owner can't just tear it down and have unofficial parking there to try and skirt the regulations above.

With the above, the city would have more control over what becomes parking space, and it would make the parking lots look a bit better in general.