View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I won't get into US politics with you as I don't live up there nor am I interested on it as you are. However I have the impression immigration is not a partisan issue anymore and Trump made even its opponents to become hostile or at least neutral to immigration. Few people are left calling for more and more immigrants. I don't see Biden leaving doors wide open. He will probably be very cautious on this respect.

Demographics are indeed not set on stone, but we have some hard facts. The US natural growth plunged from 2 million as recent as 2007 to mere 900,000 in 2019, and even without Covid-19 would probably fell to 800,000 or less in 2020. Births are falling, deaths are always rising, and few immigrants get in.

By 2030, with 3.5 million-4 million deaths every year, will be challenging to keep population growing.

In fact, I don't think any country should have this as a target. This ship has sailed. I believe they should focus on changing their economic system far from the ad aeternum growth model and preventing a hard decline which would be harder to manage.

The US should look to Pittsburgh metro area, that has been shrinking for the past 60 years, but made the decline to become much smoother and reinvented themselves economically.
Unlike most countries the USA's boomers had kids, AKA Millennials. Most countries have few Millennials but the USA has as many Millennials as Boomers.

Thats why Europe and Asia are entering rapid declines right now while the USA is still expected to grow well into the future.