View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 6:38 PM

Should Canada's Capital be Officially Bilingual

A fierce debate in Ottawa is brewing regarding whether or not the City should be deemed officially bilingual by Canada's 150th in 2017.

The City's French population consists of 14.2% of the populace, or roughly 130,000-140,000 people. On top of that, the City of Gatineau's English-French split is around 20/80, or 55,000/220,000; I'm mentioning Gatineau because they too have to deal with Ottawa, despite not paying taxes in the main City (think police, parking, transit, work...)

My argument is that both Ottawa and Gatineau should adopt legislation to become officially bilingual.

At this point, there is no such debate in Gatineau. In Ottawa, a few people have expressed support for the initiative (Royal Galipeau, MP in Orleans and Madelaine Meilleur, MPP in Vanier). the Mayor however, has said that the current policies are good enough.

So, I'm interested to know what the rest of Canada thinks; should Ottawa, the Federal Capital of an officially bilingual country, become in turn officially bilingual? By extension, should Gatineau also adopt the same initiative?

I've made it possible to vote twice so that we may express our opinion for both Ottawa and Gatineau.