View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
How is the enrollment at the U. of I? Is there a limiting factor of why more students aren't currently at U. of I. compared to other colleges/universities? Realistically, what is the max amount of students U. of I. could have in Moscow?

Does Moscow rely mostly on Pullman for goods and services? If not, I'm a little confused why there would be so many more apartment complexes for students being built near the U. of I, which should increase the population. Yet, it doesn't seem to show in other new projects in Moscow.

I haven't been to Moscow for a long time. Did they tear down previous housing and this new housing is just to replace it, or is the university truly reflecting growth at the university?
I think enrollment has been dropping at UI lately. From the link below, you can see that the drop in enrollment is upsetting to some locals so it doesn't seem to be planned.

http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/ar.../28/36929.aspx

Also, I don't know what the maximum amount of students UI could handle is, nor do I know how many students UI desires, but eleven to twelve thousand feels about right for the size of the town.

As for services, I would say Pullman relies on Moscow more than vice versa. Pullman has its own grocery stores, but Moscow has a stronger retail environment. Although the new developments I talked about above are actually in Washington, developers still appear to prefer to build closer to Moscow than Pullman.

Finally, I don't know what has caused the surge in apartment developments here. There are a lot of new rental properties in Pullman as well. From what I can see, a lot of the older student rental properties are/were pretty substandard in both towns and someone probably realized they could make some money with newer buildings. Being a renter myself, I know it was quite difficult to find a well-maintained rental outside of student apartment complexes in either town.