View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Although Deerhurst Park is technically not in the village limits, it is directly adjacent and shares the same zip code. There are some really great stone houses in Deerhurst.

IMG_2554
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_2552
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_2558
by bpawlik, on Flickr

The red Medina sandstone, such as was used in the Eberhardt Mansion, isn't often seen in 20th Century or residential construction, but was used for many of the finest buildings constructed in the late 19th century. This house may have used recovered stone from earlier buildings.

IMG_2561
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_2568
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Here is one more from the Kenmore-Tonawanda border area. The current St. John the Baptist church was built in 1951 on the site of its original log chapel from 1833. Parish was founded by Fr. John Neumann in 1836, who later was ordained as Saint John Neumann. It was said that at the time of the church's founding, Neumann could hear the roar of Niagara Falls from here, although it is 13 miles away.

St. John
by bpawlik, on Flickr

At some point I plan to have a full Tonawanda and North Tonawanda collection, but will probably focus on the older river and canal areas, so this is a good a place as any for these images.

Yes, Deerhurst Park is just across the village limits, but given the proximity, I figured it was worth mentioning.

My family apparently also has ties to St. John Neumann, from his time in the area. My maternal grandmother's family were very early residents of the Williamsville area, from what I'm told.