View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I-35 is the next best corridor through Austin.

As for following utility lines, you're going to miss all the central business districts of every town. There is a fairly straight north to south utility line heading north of Georgetown all the way to Venus, where one could head towards Dallas, Arlington, or Fort Worth, that runs about 10 miles or so east of I-35 most of the way which would make a great HSR corridor. I would suggest using the ex-MKT rail corridor to get from Austin to Georgetown. I couldn't find an utility line that ran all the way between Austin and San Antonio that was in any way direct - so I-35 probably remains as the best choice for an alternate route heading south of Austin. Of course, when heading south of Austin there is far more room to purchase land immediately adjacent to the existing UP rail corridor. Once you reach San Marcos there's two existing rail corridors available to run adjacent to select from. The real squeeze running adjacent to the existing UP rail corridor is in the middle of the MoPac freeway, heading north from downtown Austin.

I believe it is time to realize that the UP isn't going to share its right-of-way for additional passenger trains besides the existing Texas Eagle ran by Amtrak. TXDOT is opening studies to expand I-35 with a $4 Billion makeover, let's not let them make the same mistake they made with SH130 building it incompatible for trains. It is possible to rebuild the I-35 freeway that would allow the addition of railroad tracks within the right-of-way that wouldn't add much expense.
Thanks for the info. From what I have seen, it doesn't seem like I-35 renovations include rail ROW. Also, isn't it too narrow in certain parts, like near UT campus ? I guess rail would have to go over or under in those sections.