View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:11 PM

Thanks for posting the Sunset Blvd. photographs again, Godzilla.

It's interesting to revisit the Westside Market's tranformation into the Largo Club and, eventually, the Roxy. (it's amazing that the original building survived
all the changes)
And there's all kinds of history related to the Villa Nova. (If I remember correctly something pertaining to Marilyn Monroe) ?

Remember this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal reality

Does anyone know where on Wilshire this particular gas station was located? It's quite dark on the other side of the station. Could that be MacArthur Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriffPaul
According to the 1941 Los Angeles Directory there were five Union Oil stations on Wilshire. 2607 is close to MacArthur Park but not directly across the street from it.

I've been thinking about the topography since there are no other clues in the photo. Those street lights on the opposite side of Wilshire suggest there's a small hill ahead, as the lights vanish behind the crest of the hill. But after investigating those addresses, I'm stumped as to which one might be the correct location.
Thanks Sheriff Paul.

I was going through my old files and rediscovered additional negatives from this set. I would have made positive images but, for some reason, the option is missing on my computer. (I used to be able to do it)

oldfile

A closer look.

The building next to the station (in the distance on the right) will hopefully help us determine which of Sheriff Paul's addresses is correct.

oldfile

A closer look.

If anyone is having a slow Sunday feel free to change the images to positive.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM.