View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:24 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
This update features several downtown job creation announcements. If you're looking for a job, there are companies hiring in downtown Winston-Salem.

Kailo Regional Headquarters:
I didn't know about this project! Cedar Falls-based healthcare technology company Kailo has signed a lease in the 30 storey Winston Tower skyscraper for their regional headquarters. The company held a grand opening for the new regional headquarters last week. They are already considering Winston-Salem for a major expansion that could happen later this year or early next year.

Since downtown's IQ District is fully leased, research and technology companies frequently lease space in Winston-Salem's skyscrapers. Winston Tower is nearly all venture capital, research, and technology companies. I think Liberty Plaza is actually owned by a software company?

Wells Fargo Center:
Wells Fargo has leased an additional 60,000 square feet in the Wells Fargo Center. The 34-storey domed skyscraper, designed by Cesar Pelli, is now 100% fully leased. Connecting with the previous topic, two life science tenants previously occupied the space.

The blimp (advertising a movie) has flown over downtown for the past few days:

Credit: anniedtm

Semans Arts Library: Built!
I was surprised none of the news sources covered the grand opening of this project. Be sure to visit this awesome resource the next time you're in Winston-Salem!

Credit: Ryan LeBar

Credit: Charles Hildebrandt

Credit: Charles Hildebrandt

BB&T Buys National Penn Bancshares:
Winston-Salem-based BB&T is now a top 4 bank in Pennsylvania, with the purchase of National Penn of Allentown. BB&T will gain around $10 billion in assets and around $7 billion in deposits. This deal increases BB&T's assets to around $201 billion. BB&T is currently the 8th largest U.S. bank by assets, as of June 30. I think their last purchase in Pennsylvania led to workers relocating to Winston-Salem and new hiring in Winston-Salem. Maybe this purchase will bring more jobs to downtown?

West Salem Townhomes:
Do you remember the proposal to build more townhomes in West Salem, from last summer? They are almost completed. Nothing really exciting. Just good infill in an area filled with a large number of existing townhomes and factory lofts. I think the other "older" townhomes in West Salem look better than these.

Credit: Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices

Old Vineyard Expansion:
This 60 bed, 43,000 square foot, expansion is now ready to move forward. It is expected to create 67 new healthcare jobs in Winston-Salem.

Central Library:
Abatement and demolition has started on this project. The big demolition work will happen in two weeks. A crane will also remove the precast concrete panels from the 1979 wing.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=750
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

Community Innovation Lab:
New York City-based EmcArts has selected Winston-Salem and Providence, R.I., as pilot cities for the Community Innovation Labs program. Winston-Salem and Providence were selected after a nationwide search involving 92 inquiries from 71 cities.

455@Vine Speculative Office Building:
An update on the 100% leased speculative office building. Still, no word on the tenant.

Credit: Chad Leiser

Credit: Leanne Wieland

Credit: wb256

That crane would distract me from the concert.

DMP Leasing Downtown:
Engineering firm DMP Associates has signed a lease and is opening an office in downtown Winston-Salem, near the ballpark. The company has a large number of projects in the downtown Winston-Salem area and this office will allow the firm to become a part of the Winston-Salem community.

Wake Forest School of Medicine:
A look at window installation and the big crane at Wake Forest University's downtown medical school.

Credit: WFIQ

Awesome Panorama! (I just wish it was larger)

Credit: Phuzz Records (a Winston-Salem-based record label)

Credit: Ashlie Johnson

Credit: Wake Forest Law School

New Resources Leases 722 North Liberty:
Milwaukee-based tech company, New Resources, has leased the historic 1926 building at 722 North Liberty Street for their East Coast Regional Headquarters.

Kimpton's The Cardinal Hotel & Residences:
Kimpton is now hiring for this hotel. It could open in January 2016, with a bar, meeting space, and a destination restaurant.

Credit: TowniesWS

What are the small papers in the windows?

Credit: Michelle Spangler Torres

Credit: David B.

Clinical Ink in Top Tier of Inc. 5000 List:
Medical technology company Clinical Ink, with their headquarters in downtown's IQ District, is ranked 57th in the nation in growth on Inc. 5000's list of the nation's fastest growing companies. Clinical Ink grew by 4,614% and added nearly 100 new employees in the past year. You may remember reading about their major expansion into new office space in downtown's IQ District and, within a few months, discussion turned to how they are outgrowing that space in less than a year! It appears as if all of these research and technology companies are extremely fast growing.

I do expect this company to sign a bigger lease soon. It is worth noting: There is very little available Class A space in downtown, due to the tech boom. Construction is currently underway on around 1 million square feet of Class A space in downtown Winston-Salem and it is all 100% leased! Another 920,000 square feet of Class A office space is very close to starting construction in downtown Winston-Salem. We could see 300,000 square feet of Class A office space begin construction downtown in possibly two months from now?

Off-Subject - Interesting Photographs:
A great way to introduce first time viewers of this thread to Winston-Salem. It's a very beautiful historic city.

Credit: Brett Lin

This is actually a high school from 1923, designed by a famous architect:

Credit: Holly Stack

The 1922 Realty Building on the left and 1926 Nissen Apartments on the right:

Credit: Robert Lopez

Next week, construction will be completed on Salem College's new downtown residence hall! So, be sure to visit this thread again for next week's update.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:44 AM.