View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Location, unknown. Does the answer possibly lie with the bottom of this electric sign? Area looks elevated. Some "hill" downtown?

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../28510/rec/858
Hill indeed! Holy cats, what a great hill-tel image, which I'd never seen. I can tell you just where that is (or, was):

cal state library

In the above late-50s image by Hylen, here's the Alta Vista Apts at 255 S Bunker Hill Avenue, which held a lofty perch above the Third Street Tunnel. If the window display truck shot is 1929 then it's four years before Fante makes his home there, and the grisly murder of Harriet Allen. On a cheerier note, look how those Washingtonia have grown!

In case anyone isn't quite oriented, this may help -- Third Street runs west, vertically from the bottom, from Grand (below frame), and dead-ends halfway toward Hope (with its bifurcating retaining wall below) at (the now disappeared) Bunker Hill Avenue. At the dead-end are the benches where the alter kockers hung out.

usc

Third St then emerges from the Tunnel below and stretches west away from Bunker Hill.

Here is a link to Losey shooting the remake of M there in 1951. (I might add the benches along the side feature prominently in the early-60s lady-serial-killer noir Angel's Flight -- see here and here.) Just north of the Alta Vista, note the oft-photographed 251 S BH. At far left along BHA, note the Foss/Heindel House.

Now here's an interesting shot from 1966, there's the same driveway as in our 1929 image, and same fire hydrant, and yet...

huntington