View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:00 AM

Cornfield footbridge

Hello!

I discovered this thread and site about a month ago, and have really enjoyed reading my way to page 200. So many beautiful photos and great insights to the history of Los Angeles. My thanks to all of you generous posters.

I lived in Los Angeles in the 1980's, when I was in my twenties. I would watch old movies and spend some time on weekends trying to find the actual locations. It was a huge disappointment to discover Bunker Hill had basically been scrubbed off the face of the earth. Of course, there were and still are many great sites to see.

I managed to find the wooden pedestrian bridge over the Southern Pacific Cornfield yards one day in 1987. I'm no Dick Whittington, but here are a few photos I took that day, on and from the bridge. I owned only one 50 mm lens for my Nikon then, and I wish I could have taken some shots with a wider lens. (sorry)

There was only one train in motion the afternoon I was at the yard. It struck me that most of the equipment seemed like it was just being stored there, and there was a very long "dead line" of locomotives (not visible in these pics). Kind of sad, but quite a contrast to the view gsjansen posted on page 200!

Personal collection

Personal collection

Personal collection

Personal collection

Last edited by Kelton Verdugo; Jun 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM. Reason: photo captions