View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Pali was our rivals..but i gotta stick up for the school this one and only time...it could of been worse,it could of looked like the NEW L.A. High or the NEW Fairfax..just saying.
I agree unihikid. Pali may be uninspired but LAHS No. 3 is literally a crime:

"The 1917 building sustained moderate cosmetic damage, principally in the tower area, during the Sylmar earthquake in 1971. Efforts spearheaded by the Alumni Association, founded in 1876, to repair and preserve the iconic structure were opposed by certain commercial interests, who lobbied for its demolition, and finally decisively thwarted when it was gutted by a fire of mysterious origin. The replacement structure has been universally decried and finds no champions among either current or former students and faculty, or residents of the neighboring community."
-LAHS wiki page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
...I couldn't locate any other images of the exterior of Grant School on NLA.
__
"Located in the 'Little Armenia' community of East Hollywood, Grant Elementary School has been serving Kindergarten through 6th grade students for over 100 years. Grant first opened its doors in 1904, and at that time, it served a total student population of 100, from grades K – 8th."
- grant school 'history' page

I am still looking for a shot of the facade of the original Vine Street School (backing on the old Metro lot). Built as the "Colegrove School", I think it was opened by ca 1910 (Norma Jean Baker attended Vine Street School in 1935-1937).

Thx NCD. So fun, such pals, so evocative.

_____

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 22, 2015 at 5:34 PM.