View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
Beaudry! what a great healthy heapin' servin' of architectural archeology with a bit of noir on the cide

a few images of the 'cide kind i like...................

Delmer Dobbs, still living, lies on sidewalk in front of May Co. 8th and hill, after shooting self. Note bullet hole in display window above him

USC Digital Archives
Oh that Delmer Dean Dobbs! You know, that's him in the pic I posted of the guy getting wrestled from the roof of the Rosslyn. See, first he went on the roof and everybody cheered and yelled "Jump, you coward!" (Which provoked all sorts of psychiatrist jargon about the meaningless of all life and how Dobbs was performing an act of unconscious aggression on the crowd and how we haven't risen above the Roman circus, etc.) But his girlfriend Bonnie LaRoss talked him down.

One month later, as she was busy being a cashier in her cashier's booth at the Rialto, Delmer showed up again, this time with a gun. She called the cops; as he heard them approach, she watched as he put the gun to his stomach and fired. He later expired at County General.

In a grand piece of true yellow journalism, here's news photographer's sent to the cashier's box to grill La Ross: "So, you were here when you saw your boyfriend shoot himself. What was that like?"

If you go on Google Maps street view, you can see exactly where he is: 813 Broadway, at what's now "Orient L Ru s" Oh, poor, poor Hamburger's Department Store. Remember how I told you to go into the Pacific National Bank? Don't go in here unless you've got a strong stomach. Trust me.

If you flip the photo you can see that reflected in the glass are the Chapman Bldg, and the marquee for the Newsreel (AKA Tower) theater...

...read more about DDD and Bonnie here...