View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Thanks Michael for the annotated aerial. I didn't know that 1st Street stopped at Hill. That explains why Court Hill on 1st Street (between Olive and Hill) later didn't look natural. It was cut vertically.

Yes, cut through sometime after 1888...again from Adobe Days, '...The second year we moved into the Shepherd house (so-called because of its owner), where presently my brother, Llewellyn Bixby, junior, in direct answer to my prayers, came through the ceiling of the front bedroom and straight into the apron of Mrs. Maitland,--a two-day late birthday present for me. So I was told. My skeptical faculty was dormant.

'This house still stands (1931) at the top of the precipice made by the cutting of First Street between Hill and Olive Streets.'...

...'In those days the hill had not been hacked away to make streets, and where now is a great gash to let First Street through there was then a breezy, open hill-top, whereon grew brush and wildflowers....'

Needless to say, I recommend Adobe Days. It lacks the sheer size and grit of McWilliams' Southern California: An Island on the Land but it is still a pleasant read, full of interesting detail.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jan 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM.