View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:46 PM

Richard W. Lee Furniture/Ralphs/McKinley House

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
The building currently housing Trader Joe's was for many years (I remember it in 1960-61, when the Ralph's across the street was built) as housing a furniture store called "Richard W. Lee", purveyors of some of the ugliest stuff you could imagine. (Lots of lamps with crystal drops & the infamous glass coffee tables supported by ceramic panthers with giant rhinestone eyes). Lee occupied the premises until - I think - sometime in the '80s. In its furniture store days, the huge plate-glass windows revealed the store's contents to the world -- had always thought that the place must have been built as an auto dealership.
OMG, Richard W. Lee Furniture. That took me back. "Garish" doesn't even begin to describe their stock. "Nightmarish" comes closer. I hope no one finds pix.

Pleasant Family Shopping has much on the Ralphs architectural gems (plus other chain stores) for those who were looking: http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...ish-style.html

1940's Ralphs anniversary poster:

pleasantfamilyshopping.com

Yes moxie that's it. My fave pic of the house so far. The evening-wear-clad couple makes it look very glam.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 4:00 PM. Reason: add image