View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:05 AM

John and Melissa Stewart Cottage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I kind of hope they don't move it. It's simply amazing that it has been on that same spot for 140 years!! It would make a nice little pocket park. The city should buy it.
I agree except it's so out of the way (hardly anyone lives around there) and no longer has its 17 acres. There's only three houses on that block. Next door has been stuccoed and had aluminum sliders installed. The handsome 1900 effort, which you pointed out, across the street, has a really nice porch and has been cut into three units:

gsv

I'd like to see the city buy it and make it a house museum in Grand Park. It would make a great field trip destination. It's a real, and rare, prize. Some adobes have been saved and big mansions too, but the thousands of little frame homes that were built here from 1870-1900, which are so much a part of our history, hardly get a look-in.

BTW, why is Grand Park called that? The park, between the courthouse and the HOA, was dedicated to the Los Pobladores when it was created in 1960. What happened to that? I'm just cynical enough to think Eli Broad's Grand Avenue Committee had something to do with it. Trying to entice us up to Grand Ave, so it will finally be "thronged" as promised?

(I'm also cynical enough to think "Grand Park" is only a placeholder name until Broad dies.)

Last edited by tovangar2; May 22, 2015 at 2:24 AM.