View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
My father and most of his side of the family grew up in Black Rock and Riverside, and my mother and 2 of my siblings graduated from Riverside High School. Although we lived in North Buffalo, we still had close ties in these neighborhoods. Both my parents worked there. I grew up visiting grandmother and aunts there, going to family parties at Polish Cadets Hall or at the family owned tavern on Ontario Street, and every 4th of July meant the going to parade on Tonawanda Street, followed by the carnival and fireworks at Riverside Park. My kids even got to go a couple of years with my father when they were little.
Nice!

I remember driving through the neighborhood with my grandparents, and my grandfather gave a little tour. There was a Catholic church somewhere near Military Road that was the "Hunky" (Hungarian) church. His family went to the Irish church, closer to the river. There was a Polish church or other ethnic Catholic church also in the area. This was during the late 1920s and early 1930s.