View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
My guess is that there are a number of factors. First, the size of the average French car is quite small even compared to the size of the average car in Manhattan. Second, I wouldn't be surprised if Manhattan has more public housing that central Paris does - a huge portion of Paris public housing is in the suburbs. This is relevant because it *might* mean that there are relatively fewer low-income people in central Paris who would more naturally be transit-captive. Wealthy and/or high-income people strongly prefer to have a car just because they can. Lending credence to that idea is that the car ownership in the 7th Arr. is 3rd highest, and the 7th is the highest-income area, and the 16th Arr. has the most millionaires, an average income of still over double the average for Paris as a whole, and the highest car ownership rate.
http://www.itdp.org/wp-content/uploa...-Turn_ITDP.pdf

I found this link which has a total on number of parking spaces for Paris (page 52):

755,000 (on-street: 165,000; off-street: 590,000)

I know the "Manhattan Core" — Manhattan south of Harlem, has 102,000 off-street parking spaces (hmm, the link numbers exclude the Upper West and East sides). Don't think any on-street space count has been done, though its use is not only by residents. The Manhattan Core has about half the population of Paris, but if you could add a ring surrounding the Manhattan Core I suspect it would still have fewer parking spaces. Regardless, Manhattan has a much lower number off-street parking spaces per capita than the Paris city proper average