View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:55 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 40-56 10th Ave | FT | 10 FLOORS

Curbed NY:

Studio/Gang's Zany, Angular High Line Tower Is Gonna Happen
Wednesday, May 14, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

Quote:
It's baaaack. The edgy, High Line-abutting tower by big-name Chicago architecture firm Studio/Gang is going to get built after all. After its mind-boggling renders were unveiled in late 2012, genius, New Yorker-profiled architect Jeanne Gang's first New York City project, a 10-story office building on Tenth Avenue between 13th and 14th streets futuristically called Solar Carve, ran into some roadblocks: namely, community opposition from groups like the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, which went hand-in-hand with a decision from the city's Board of Standards and Appeals not to approve a zoning variance that would make possible its bigger-than-permitted size. But wait: after its rejection in February, developer William Gottlieb Real Estate revised the application for a fourth go-around, not requesting any additional FAR (basically more interior space given the lot size) but just asking for minor variances related to the project's height and use of setbacks. And voila, a tipster tells us the BSA just gave a thumbs-up to the project. Reactions: in an e-mail blast, GVHSP said it's "glad" the building won't be larger; meanwhile, the Architect's Newspaper reports that the Gang is "excited" about the news and is working towards completion in 2015. Whew, that seems soon.

According to Studio/Gang, Solar Carve's serrated edge and asymmetrical curves are all in the name of using "angles of the sun's rays to sculpt building form." The design, full of reverse setbacks and all geometric-like, helps it avoid casting shadows on the High Line and also still allows views of the Hudson.

[...]

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~