View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 7:48 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
(This is for both of you guys):

If you're willing to walk that far to take rail transit, you could just walk a much shorter distance and take an express bus (one-seat ride) that goes the same place today (Guadalupe/Lavaca stops for the 98x series express buses which go to the same suburban park-and-rides plus hit a few better spots like the Arboretum). Here's a hint: if you don't, you're (in aggregate) not going to take the "walk 1.5 miles to rail stop" option either, because the 1.5 mile walk takes long enough that it's basically the same trip length as the bus would have been, if not longer (same goes for the shuttlebus, which would entail a wait and then a slow, stuck-in-traffic, bus ride to the Convention Center).

Wishful thinking can't override transit research from all over the friggin' country.
I'd would bike that 1.5 miles to the train station. It'll probably take less than 5 minutes. I'd be willing to walk up to a mile, as I did that all through my school years, it'll take around 20 minutes.

But after biking or walking that far, I would expect faster than 15 mph average speeds.

There's a study that took place in California. 90% of transit passengers are willing to walk a quarter mile, 50% up to a half mile, 25% up to a mile.

Another interesting fact, back in the 1960-70s, 90% of school chidren walked to school in urban areas. Today, that number is just 10%. There's actually two rush hours today every morning and afternoon. One rush hour for those going to work, and another rush hour for driving school children to school.

Half the daily auto traffic would dissappear if children were to walk to school today.