View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

I'm having trouble placing this view....are we looking West on Temple? Am I not recognizing the obvious when I don't recognize the building upper left? (Sisters Hospital?) Am I losing my mind? Did I ever really have possession? Is this a repost? So many questions......Any help appreciated!

CHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Ralphs Brothers Grocery was at the corner of Spring and Sixth in 1881-82.
USC have a similar, but slightly earlier view titled "Panoramic view of Los Angeles, looking west along Sixth Street, from Main Street, ca.1882". In the top-right of both photos is the State Normal School.

USC Digital Library

They also have this reverse view from the State Normal School. Their description is:
Photograph of a birdseye view of Pershing Square (formerly 6th Street park) looking southeast from Normal School (the present site of the Biltmore Hotel) showing St. Paul’s Cathedral and First Methodist Episcopal Church, ca.1883. The First Methodist Episcopal Church located at north-east corner of Hill and 6th Streets is visible just right of center in the foreground, shown from the rear. Beyond this, paved pathways and rows of trees can be seen in the rectangular bounds of the park just beyond a small ranch-style rooftop and a narrow road. Farther back, the St. Paul's Cathedral can be seen on Olive Street, between 5th and 6th Streets, as well as a three-story brick building that appears to be the Saint Vincent College to the right. More open terrain fills the rest of the distance, interspersed with homesteads.

USC Digital Library

I think that means that the building ScottyB was trying identify is St Vincent's College at 6th and Fort (Broadway).

USC Digital Library