View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
You are all so knowledgeable and I've learned so much from you, that I hesitated to put a "challenge" up, but I think this one might be a mystery to some of you:

Hint: It was a famous landmark in LA from when it was built in 1854. After remodeling (as shown in the photo) it became a popular venue. It was demolished in 1889.
Photograph of the Round House, built by Ramon Alexander in 1854, 311 to 317 south Main Street, south from Third Street through to Spring Street, ca.1885. The twelve-sided two-story structure with a conical roof is fronted by trees along the property which is separated from the sidewalk and street by a wooden fence. A pedestrian is visible at left. Another brick structure is visible at right. Legible signs include: ..."Builders". Owned by George Lehman and last used as a kindergarten school.; "The large real estate interests of George Lehman, including the Round House property, the Georgetown Bakery, brick house on Spring Street between Sixth and Seventh, lot in the rear of Judge O'Melveny's place on Second Street and several corner lots on Sixth and Spring, Seventh and Spring, Fourth and Hill streets, etc. will be disposed of tomorrow at sheriff's sale. The property is some of the most desirable for business and residence purposes to be found in the city. Considering the dull times it will probably go for a song." -- Newspaper clippng, 16 May 1879

Sarah Bixby mentions it in Adobe Days, she went to school for a time right next door.