View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:53 PM

I'm new! :)

Love reading this forum and excited to contribute!

As for tipping...

Having served for years in the downtown core its hard to know what large parties are going to do, you dont want to assume and spend the time splitting the table 8 ways only to have one person pay at the end but then to present one bill to a table of 8 at the end of a service only to have them look at you confused like you should just know they wanted it split. Also remember that if 8 people need 8 seperate bills and 8 transactions it WILL take 8 times as long unfortunately. Some people can't get their heads around this and are annoyed you can't manage this task under a minute. Definitely helps if people bring cash or at least give you the heads up, as downtown lunch rushes are an in and out rush.

For a place a more upscale restaurant looking to really provide an experience in their service having split bills on parties more then 6 can become tacky at the end, as the server hands out all the bills and methodically works out each transaction seperately. Really takes away from the quality of the dining experience and stops the organic flow of service to other patrons.

When I go out with my gang we usually just get one bill add the gratuity then split evenly between all of us. Sometimes you pay a little more sometimes you pay a little less!