View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:22 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Mousquet, I don't understand what your message has to do with the post of Kingofthehill.
I fail to see the relationship between the Arabs invation in the Middle age and the immigration in Italy today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
You really think Italy (or Greece) is as welcoming or tolerant to an African/Middle Eastern immigrant as Scandinavia, The Netherlands, the UK (barring the UKIP/Eastern Euro stuff, I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place) etc., are? And that is to make no mention of the generally vastly superior welfare/unemployment/state assistance schemes and more robust job markets in those places.

In terms of acceptance, Italy is definitely less accepting than Northern Europe, and many immigrants would openly tell you this. Look at all the shit their first black minister is getting (fellow ministers calling her an "orangutan," for example), all the crap towards Mario Balotelli, bananas regularly thrown at black footballers, etc. I am a person of color, and I certainly feel more comfortable in the UK or Norway or Sweden than Italy, or much less Greece.
I think SHiRO meant that Italy was not less welcoming in term of law.
It is not more difficult to immigrate in Italy than in other European countries. It is quite the oposite by looking the numbers, especially when it is put in in relation to the economy.

Easy immigration is one of the things that may explain the high immigration in Italy despite all the other negative factors.