View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuofa View Post
I think when it comes to starting our light rail system, Broadway from Downtown to Park Place would be the best initial route and then additional lines could spring off of that. I would like to see the system be as free flowing as possible, I hope it doesn't end up just like a bus where it takes you 15 mins to get a mile due due stop lights, traffic, whatever. How we could achieve this without doing the obvious extremely expensive options (raised above street level or dropped below at points) is a question I don't know how to answer.
Phoenix's LRT has a right of way between lanes. Traffic laws limit the speed, but it is still much faster than a bus.

The biggest issue with that system I'd say is for drivers, not riders. Apache Blvd. can be a headache at times, Broadway in Tucson could much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Traffic timing is critical. If you set up lights to give trains priority, you don't have to worry about grade separation.
sure, but it would be faster for everyone. Any generous billionaires on the board?