View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^^ I completely disagree. Even if we decouple the Obama Library from the equation, there is a need for a direct route to Jackson Park. The Metra Electric line works, but it's still expensive and out of the way for most people. International tourists like easy methods of travel, and I can't find an easier way to get to Hyde Park than be the green line, even taking into account direct bus routes. There IS a fundamental need for the Green line to be extended back to Jackson Park. Although, I'd say just putting the old L back up is sufficient. Nothing fancy, no subway, etc. I find it hard to believe that a bus line (especially with how abysmal CTA bus numbers have been) is somehow a good replacement for a Green line extension. Maybe your logic would work a decade or two ago, but with ride-share and other impacts, making huge investments in buses (unless it's BRT) makes literally no sense. Better to invest in something that can out-compete other options, like a Green Line extension.
If the existing bus/Metra system works for the Science Museum, why wouldn't it work for the Library? I suspect the Foundation made the location decision with this in mind - that the existing system is what their visitors would use.