View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
On the urban renewal and symbolic standpoint, Obama just has some common sense. Not to mention having two major attractions on one campus lifts the stature and attendance of both.

I’m sorry, but whoever peddled the idea that museums can reviltalize poverty-stricken neighborhoods like Washington Park was full of BS. They’re not big sources of employment and wealth. Museums have the most impact on neighborhoods with questionable reputations but otherwise strong amenities that are reaching a tipping point.

You have ONE opportunity to give visitors from across the world an impression of the South side different from the stereotype on TV; the city was never putting the library in an area that confirms the stereotypes. It was always going to go to a neighborhood by the lake where visitors from out of town could imagine themselves living or investing.
Its the question of spreading your investment so that all neighborhoods get a "prize" to point to but no real neighborhood change or do you concentrate your investments in certain areas and look for broader improvements to radiate out from that hub over time.

I would look to the north side for a successful example to emulate. I think Obama has mentioned something similar when he talks about Lincoln Park.