View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
^If they did build another arena in that spot (which would be a step in the right direction), would they demolish the current one? And if so, what would the chances of a mixed use project being built or something like a major attraction? Maybe the roads could be reconnected and soften up the lot size.

Some small news tidbits: According to an article I've read from the owners of Songbird, the GreenHaus plans to be demolished for housing and a restaurant will move into the Dressing Room space. Desoto Market looks to be coming along nicely (via FB). And a few days ago the Grid Bike share made its debut in Central Phoenix, I think it would be awesome if they put some stations in Old Town Scottsdale and Biltmore Area.

Any updates on the Union, Portland Place, or McKinley/5th St apartments? Has construction started on the Luhrs Hotel or Hotel Monroe?

Gee, Tempe will look like Miami before Phx gets one decent building off the ground.
Is The Dressing Room where Songbird is now?

I hope that the housing project is real for the corner of 3rd/Roosevelt opposite Roosevelt Pointe. As long as it is, I don't mind the demo of GreenHaus; right now, that corner is very pedestrian unfriendly and, honestly, that entire strip of Roosevelt needs some TLC.

As far as USAC goes, I really hope it doesn't move locations. Look how long the Colliers/CityScape lot has set vacant... if the current arena is demo'd, I ha ve no doubt it would be replaced with parking for a VERY long time. And, while Civic Plaza isn't an urban treasure, neither will be a new arena. With it will become at least 2-3 deadzones, and the new location is further into the core of downtown. The last thing that area needs is more parking or back-of-house fortresses.

If designed perfectly, and if a new project was proposed along with it for the current location that extended Madison and served as a connection between downtown into the Warehouse District, I'd support it. But, reality is that we wouldn't be getting that kind of quality OR quantity.