View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I think the moving shadows would drive people insane, and I am willing to bet that so little energy would be produced (small turbine and low wind speeds) that it wouldn't be of much benefit to society. That's not even considering the cost of such a thing. In many places, regular street lights with solar panels on top (but still connected to the grid just in case) are probably sufficient, especially suburban areas where the street lights don't have to be so bright.

Try designing something that could be put onto a person's home though. I'd like to see things like that and solar panels become standard in single-family housing in the future.
Well the guy said the large sized model would produce 3 kilowatts which is twice as wide (same height) as the one in the video. A LED streetlight uses between a quarter or a half kilowatt. Four of them (or three) on top of one of a wind tower would be around a single kilowatt, meaning that the turbine generates an extra two kilowatts under good conditions.

I guess the light could be directed so as not to make people go crazy like you said. No light has to actually illuminate the blades and the blindspot underneath could be illuminated by a small set of LED's wrapped around the pole.

Plus it would be hooked into the grid so its extra power could be harvested and just in case it can't generate enough on a stagnant day. Plus it's not like we can't add solar panels on top of it all.

Actually, it wouldn't even need to be street lighting. I was thinking something more on the scale of athletic field lighting. We also have huge highway lights here in Vegas.