View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
i believe i can support you in that decision. in the area between 15 Street SW and Pumphouse Avenue SW (east/west boundry) and Bow Trail/9 Avenue SW and Bow Trail/5 Avenue SW (north/south boundry), there's enough room there for both a new NHL arena and CFL stadium. plus it has the added bonus of being both downtown and along the planned WLRT line.

Thats a great idea, and a great location. Worse come worse, it will have to been at the Big 4 area, but it would be nice for this location. A little off topic I also kinda wish we had a Central Station type concept in Greyhound lands where the c-train, "subway", inner city buses, grey hound intracity buses, and maybe the future high speed train from Edmonton to Calgary would all interject in one complex. That area would be transportation central for the city.

In the future city stadium, it would be nice to definitely have high density around with, with shops, restaurants and big business all around, along with some condo developments. A stadium like Wembley would be awesome, where the interior can easily be reconfigured in the stadium to support a variety of stage settings for different concerts, shows, and presentations. Also an adjacent smaller concert hall (maybe the size of the Jubillee) would be nice to have right beside the stadium. The Heinekin Music Hall was located right beside the giant Ajax stadium Amsterdam Arena, which allowed for simultaneous concerts and performances to happen. The Heinekin Music Hall was much smaller with a capacity of 2000-3000 people, but it allowed for more intimate concerts. The accoustics of the Music Hall are suppose to be some of the best in the world. I saw both Missy Elliot, and Ben Harper in the Heinekin Music Hall, which was fantastic.

Also, on a side note. An open air concert venue would be nice in East Side Village. It could even support the crappy, but growing, Virgin Music Festival that came to Calgary last year. Montreal has tons of free concerts, and it would be great to have similar concerts in such a venue. Maybe they could even replace the Cocacola stage during the Stampede with this venue too. The possibilities are endless with a medium size open area concert area.

Also, does anybody else want an Opera House in our city? Its about time we had one. Ive got to reiterate again what a friend told me once. He's the chief director of the Scandenavian Opera and Ballet association, stating that a city will never be true cultural and thriving city, without an Opera House. Maybe this Opera House can be worked into the new stadium.
________
CX500

Last edited by Dafunk; Jan 27, 2011 at 6:04 AM.