View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:11 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Well it depends.

I think there were more reasons why Galveston never recovered. Maybe it was all about timing.

Just 6 years later, the great San Francisco earthquake completely destroyed the bay area, somewhere like 90% of the city was wiped out, if not by the earthquake, by the fire. Yet. fast forward to today, San Francisco and the bay area is booming, even with routine earthquakes every few decades. LA as well, although never destroyed, has routine earthquake every few decades, yet still managed to be the second largest city in the nation. Its all about timing i think in Galvestons case.

I mean... Galveston is literally the Miami beach of Texas/Houston in regards to Geography when looking at them both from above. Nearly 120 years later, whats stopping Galveston from booming since everyone of any living memory of the Hurricane are long gone. Beacsue... Miami Beach is booming under near identical conditions.
while i'd love to see an alternate Galveston that went boomboomboom through the 20s, it wouldn't be the same charming laidback historical resort city it is, especially after the shitstorm of 50s-60s urban renewal ripped up the density it would've had.

then later hurricanes would've still maybe doomed some of its gorgeous ego towers.

rustbelt? i see why it's described that way, but it is really truly New Orleans' little Texas cousin.

-

-fflint