Old Posted May 28, 2006, 5:27 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom
Amazing. Realistic as fuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidioman
^Interesting expression.
It's the kind of expression one makes when that can't think of anything better. It's a hell of a compliment, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man
Wow.. I get this eerie feeling looking at these photos. Excellent work STR, you're truly talented.
I'm more anal than talented. Once all the details are accounted for, everything just springs into reality.

But yeah, it does get eerie when I remember what happened and all the photos I press over are of buildings that don't exist. Even the post 9/11 wreckage photos (which ironically are some of the best/most detailed images of the plaza buildings on the net) don't really click unless I stop to think about them. Otherwise I'm just combing the photos for some obscure feature, barely noticing the damaged parts.

But back to the renders. The first set is of me building 4 World Trade. I start off with the colums, properly spaced at 30 feet on center, to work out the shape of the building. Next I add the lower floors. Thw windows are one long band stretching the length of the wall. This is done to reduce the number of faces (triangles) in the building to keep things running smooth.

Starting with the 3rd floor, I create the 15 foot overhangs, and continue with the wider floors until I reach the roof. Then I added the arches on the lower section, followed by the window frames. Then comes the main facade, which is broken up into 30 foot sections (6 rows of windows) and copied across the face of the building. Finally I add the rooftop mechanical penthouse and the one foot high paraphet. And it's basically done.

4WTC took half the time 5WTC took, as I could basically copy the parts I made for 6 and add them to 4. The finshed building is shown below. (EDIT: Almost finished. It seems there was some kind of addition made to the building on the wall directly facing 2WTC, I'll have to add it) The last render is from the Windows on the World level, 106 or 107, I'm not sure which as I didn't count. I just followed the building elevation and put floor slabs where it told me to.

Last edited by STR; May 28, 2006 at 5:58 AM.