View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:38 AM
Meh

I think the size of it sort of distorts the height a bit and makes it seem shorter than it is. I was taking pictures of the skyline from the South Austin Hospital garage (I still need to get them up) - anyway, from that garage + the ground elevation, you're nearly even with some of the tallest buildings in downtown. I noticed it's still somewhat shorter than the Four Seasons right now. The Four Seasons Residences is 401 feet to the mechanical penthouse boxes. The Fairmont will be 456 feet to the mechanical screen and 420 feet to the main roof. So it'll be a little taller. It'll still have the 2nd highest roof east of Congress, and it'll have the 5th highest roof until the Independent and 5th & West are finished.

Design-wise, I can take it or leave it. Every time I look at this building I try to envision what the original design would have looked like, and I gotta say, it sucks that's the reaction I have every time I see it. As for the JW Marriott, I think it's better building actually. The glass accents on that one makes it one of the most interesting facades we've seen so far.

Anyway, what I'm looking forward to most now is the lighting, the views from it, and watching the spire go up and how it'll affect the skyline.