View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You find it disappointing, and that's too bad for you. (1) I see this building often enough, and the dirt and grime you speak of is hardly noticeable in person. In fact, the average person will hardly notice it (I would say they wouldn't notice at all). (2) If you want to talk about design, that's another thing entirely. But the building - which will have a surface of mostly glass - isn't anywhere near completed. (3) Whether it will be "cleaned" or not remains to be seen. Take that as you will.
(1) I hope you are right. I haven't seen it in person. Generally, the close up photos expose the dirt, stains, and defects.

(2) I have talked about design before. I think this building is an 'ode to engineering' and is not architecture. It is a monument to the minimum of human imagination. I am also critical of minimalism as a celebration of the devolution of creativity or design. However, the general response to my criticism is "it's just your taste". Rarely are the aesthetics of building defended, so what's the point of talking about design?

(3) This topic has come up before, either on this thread or a different website, and there were no plans to clean the facade. I'll do some research for source verification.