View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
BTW, 1overcosc, I believe, if I recall the configuration of your property in Kingston, that you could also be renting to an undocumented Emersonian border jumper without any issue tomorrow... something I could not do in any of my American properties (there would be zero reason for me to accept to do something as unheard of as keeping electrical service to my name; just the request would sound really fishy and weird).
Yeah.. my property is a 1950s era SFH that has been renovated into 6 bedrooms sharing a common kitchen/living area. Each bedroom is leased separately.

Because I live in one of the bedrooms as well, my tenants are also my roommates. This actually gives me a huge advantage in Ontario rental laws.. my tenants are legally "boarders" rather than "tenants" which means I can evict them whenever I want with no notice, no bureaucratic delays, and almost no paperwork (boarders are more or less completely uncovered by Ontario tenant protection laws). For this reason I'm not particularly strict about vetting for things like credit checks.. but I'd still be reluctant to rent to someone who wanted to pay in cash. I ask my tenants to pay me in postdated cheques, generally, I find its the most convenient.