Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:06 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I believe I have reached a point in my growth as an artist, whose medium is the LEGO® brick, where I have come to realize a vision of what I hope to achieve through my mode of expression.
Pretty lofty stuff. I just consider myself a builder of custom LEGO models!

I do look forward to seeing the complete Chicago CBD built of LEGO.

Here is a minifig scale model I built of the Christopher R. Mabley residence, circa 1881, 1105 Woodward Ave. Detroit, Michgan.

Photo Credit: DecoJim/Flickr

Christopher R. Mabley (1836-1885) was responsible for opening a series of clothing and department stores in Detroit, Toledo, Cincinnati, and other cities. At one point J.L.Hudson was in his employ managing the clothing dept. in Detroit (Hudson later built the 2nd largest Department Store in the USA). When Mabley died, his estate was worth $500,000 (about $13 million in 2014 dollars).

Those familiar with Cincinnati who recognize the name of Joseph Carew. Mr Mabley was the one who hired Carew and later made him a partner in his Cincinnati store; when Mabley died, Carew took over the entire Cincinnati operation. Carew and his business did quite well; the Mabley & Carew store was later replaced by the 49 story Carew Tower!