Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post

Building Chicago

I believe I have reached a point in my growth as an artist, whose medium is the LEGO® brick, where I have come to realize a vision of what I hope to achieve through my mode of expression. I am, therefore, establishing the basis to which all further Chicago skyscraper models made by myself will adhere to; the eventual realization and rigorous realistic representation of a contiguous layout of the Downtown area of Chicago at 1:650 scale.

Though no accurate timeline currently exists, I would estimate its realization in no less than ten years. I would also estimate, albeit much more freely, that the final model would size up around 20'x18', with an estimated parts count of somewhere between two and three million LEGO® pieces.

Phase 1

Phase 1 is what I am calling my first broad-scope layout of the city. My plan, over the next few months, is to combine my current six-building Chicago River layout with my current four-building Millennium Park Skyline layout. To join these layouts, I will be designing and building numerous small and mid-size buildings of the North Loop/Chicago River area. These include various well-known buildings such as Mather Tower, London Guarantee Building, 333 North Michigan, Hotel Monaco, Hotel 71 & the Equitable Building.

You can expect to see the whole thing at Brickworld Chicago in June. The theme this year is Brick to the Future. And what better way to look to the future than with the first step toward the first-ever contiguous layout of a major global city? I hope you're as excited as I am!
Oh wowie!!! This is fantastic! I am pumped for this idea, absolutely! I wish I could guarantee that I could come to Brickworld to see it in person, but finances may scuttle that possibility ... Please post updates as often as you can!