View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I don't think THAT'S necessarily the case. Remember, Penn's is primarily a traditional residential university campus of 300 acres, which just happens to be surrounded by an urban area. And Drexel is quickly becomming a significantly more residential campus, as is Temple. So we shouldn't just evaluate their development in somewhat generic, urban, commercial terms (as we might, say, a residential tower in Center City).

From what I can see in the renderings--and from what I've read in verbal descriptions--Penn's new college house is intended to provide a traditional 24/7 residential college house experience and atmosphere, similar to Penn's 11 other college houses (like those in the historic and venerable Quad running from 36th to 38th along Spruce). So hardly a fortress, and more a modern rendition of the traditional grassy quads and greens located elsewhere on Penn's campus and on other traditional college and university campuses.
Look at the apartment complex that was developed privately on Walnut Street between 39th and 40th Street. There is retail shops on street level, much like what Drexel is doing on Chestnut and what they have planned for Lancaster.

The new Penn dorm will be much like my freshman year dorm, King's Court. And I hate to say it, KC (and for that matter, the Quad, Hill, etc) are fortress style buildings on the street level.