View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Drexel also has plans to redevelop the corner property they on that side of Chestnut. But until something is done, that block is going to be void of life.

This is what happens when the school itself builds a dorm and does not outsource. You get a fortress at street level.
I don't think THAT'S necessarily the case. Remember, Penn's is primarily a traditional residential university campus of 300 acres, which just happens to be surrounded by an urban area. And Drexel is quickly becomming a significantly more residential campus, as is Temple. So we shouldn't just evaluate their development in somewhat generic, urban, commercial terms (as we might, say, a residential tower in Center City).

From what I can see in the renderings--and from what I've read in verbal descriptions--Penn's new college house is intended to provide a traditional 24/7 residential college house experience and atmosphere, similar to Penn's 11 other college houses (like those in the historic and venerable Quad running from 36th to 38th along Spruce). So hardly a fortress, and more a modern rendition of the traditional grassy quads and greens located elsewhere on Penn's campus and on other traditional college and university campuses.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM.