View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks for all the Gilmore related photos everyone! Now I know where they were situated. CBS Television City is basically on the site where Gilmore Stadium stood and Gilmore Field is where the Television City studio additions were built, where they tape American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, by the way. (Yes, they tape Fox and ABC shows at CBS Television City!)

I wish one or both of those sites were still there.

I was actually watching a "Hollywood" episode of I Love Lucy this week and because it's raining Fred laments that he can't go see the Hollywood Stars baseball team play (at Gilmore Field)! So it was still there in 1955, but gone by 1960. As has been noted, CBS Television City opened in 1952.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Below I've labeled a 1948 aerial picture of the area. Gilmore Stadium mainly hosted football and midget car racing, while Gilmore Field was for baseball.

Historic Aerials

All that's left today is the Farmers Market, although South Gilmore Lane acts as a reminder to the past.
I did not know that street was named Gilmore Lane. It runs through the Southern quarter of "The Grove", connecting Third Street and Farmer's Market Lane, and is basically used for deliveries or to connect to the parking garage at the end of Farmer's Market Lane. What looks to be a road in the middle of The Grove is actually a pedestrian walkway with a green trolley (on tracks) that intermittently winds it's way around the place. They have occasionally filmed scenes from Modern Family there.

Right near the Grove entrance and adjacent to the Farmer's Market, there is a small "historical" area with a gas pump and display cases filled with "Gilmore" memorabilia. There are photos of what used to be located all over this area (no aerials though). I assume it's still there, I haven't been in that area for some time, but when I used to go there alot I'd always take a minute or two to appreciate the exhibit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Gilmore Gas - Said to be at Beverly and Fairfax.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...id/29862/rec/7

Quote:
Has anyone seen an aerial that includes a clear depiction of the "Gilmore" gas station (supposedly at Beverly and Fairfax)? Just read your response GW, so I know you're looking. There have been images posted depicting a Standard station on the NE corner.
All 4 corners of Beverly and Fairfax have been posted in the last page or two and, unless it's those buildings right near Herbert's, it doesn't look like it's right on the corner.

In the postcard you posted:

Quote:
…and in the following photo that HossC posted, I think it's likely the gas station is on the left side of the picture (below) almost halfway up the photo on Fairfax Avenue, closer to Third Street, running along the bottom, and the Farmer's Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post