View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Olympus nixed the viewfinder on the E-P1 to make the thing as small as possible - but this neither explains nor excuses the curious lack of a higher-res articulating LCD, which becomes doubly important with the viewfinder gone IMHO. But I differ with you in actually liking the swinging-60s retro styling.

-----
I like the retro styling as well, but it should not get in the way of functionality. Perhaps I was bit harsh, the E-P1 is still a very good design overall, despite its flaws. At least, it does look cooler than all their dSLRs so far.

I can think of other "retro" features than Olympus can bring back. I would like to see a lot of compact prime lenses, each with its own external viewfinder attachment. And DOF scales on the lenses would be nice too...

Quote:
I hear you on the G1's hump. My guess is that Panasonic put the mock pentaprism on it as a not-so-subliminal inducement to dealers to shelve it with the DSLRs rather than with the P&S cameras. They were playing it very safe with what is otherwise an innovative product.
It is funny, for their first DSLR they tried to make it look like a classic rangefinder as much as possible, but for their first interchangeable lens non-SLR cameras, they try to make look as much like an SLR as possible...

What is most disconcerting about m4/3 so far are the reports I have been reading about distortion of the lenses being so great that the camera bodies are automatically applying in-camera correction, even when shooting RAW, and apparently Panasonic lenses are worse than Olympus in this respect.