View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://observer.com/2013/11/ice-ice-...skating-mecca/

Ice, Ice Baby: City Planning Commission Approves Plan to Convert Bronx Armory to Ice Skating Mecca

By Chris Pomorski
11/06/13

Quote:
The City Planning Commission voted unanimously today to approve the conversion of the long-dormant Kingsbridge Armory, in the Bronx, to the world’s largest indoor ice skating arena. The 750,000 square-foot facility, which passed muster with Bronx Community Board 7 in September, is due to include two levels containing nine rinks. One will reportedly play host to hockey tournaments and Ice Capades-variety extravaganzas.

Following the vote, Mark Messier, the New York Ranger captain and current CEO of the Kingsbridge National Ice Center—as the armory will be known—touted the support of both Borough President Ruben Diaz and the Landmarks Preservation Commission. “Today’s unanimous vote by the City Planning Commission once again demonstrates the overwhelming and still growing support for this project in the Bronx and throughout New York City,” Mr. Messier gushed in a statement.

The ice center, too, took some flack from local residents, some of whom worried about increased traffic and insufficient parking, while others complained that admissions fees would price out people in the neighborhood. The most compelling criticism has come from those who argue that nine indoor ice skating rinks—with another outside, is excessive. “I’m not against the ice rink—three, I think, is fine,” one woman told The Daily News. “The armory is enormous, and I think it can accommodate other things.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.