View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 3:20 PM

There are lots of valid approaches to this problem of lack of convenient access to services including food in areas of poverty. But, I would reiterate, that these are not issues of food and services. As others have pointed out here, the underlying problems are much more systemic and relate to general issues of poverty and differential wealth distribution in our country. in essence, adding a few grocers here and there, or food trucks, are just band aids for the more generic problems of poverty and inequity. In my area of expertise, medicine and public health, the difference in health outcomes between the rich and poor in the US is astonishing and pathetic and mirrors the situation described about food access. These issues have to be addressed at multiple levels, social, cultural and political. The problems are manifested in urban areas like Atlanta and in other cities, but they are not unique to cities and in my view individual cities can only make limited changes to these generic problems. Community groups and locals can make a difference, albeit rather limited.