View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
IKEA also represents disposable culture at its worst, so the brand's relative lack of success in the US is somewhat surprising. I have noticed that Americans tend to spend big on high quality (not necessarily high design) furniture and keep it for a long time. Houses tend to be bigger and moving costs lower.
Actually, does anybody buy furniture with the intentions of throwing it out later? I think most people buy what they can afford, and sell, pass down, or donate the furniture when they upgrade, move or whatever. So the furniture continues to have a life even when the original buyer no longer has it.

My impression of IKEA stuff is that the money saving is mostly due to their business model of the customer taking it home and assembling it themselves. No flash, pomp or circumstance, just the basics.

I haven't bought a huge number of things from IKEA but I can say that the chair I bought to use at the computer desk is very good quality. Sturdily designed, made of solid hardwood (no particleboard, etc.), no creaks or flexing/movement, and attractive in appearance. It should prove to be quite durable over the years, I think. I haven't examined their other furniture pieces closely, so my experience is limited.

And, FWIW, most of the furniture I've seen at places like Ashley tend to be largely constructed of particle board, with some sort of veneer to make it look like 'real wood'. I can't say that I've seen the highest quality at the mainstream furniture stores - in fact this would more fit my definition of throw away furniture, since once it breaks or degrades, it's difficult to repair, and almost not worth the effort.