View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Can you still find "chop suey"? Are there any Chop Suey signs or places left? Used to be common 50+ years ago. I think "egg foo young" is also hard to find now days. Chop suey + egg foo young seemed to go together with fried rice, fried shrimp, chow mein & fortune cookies. It wasn't bad. Whether it was authentic Chinese, probably not. Probably invented in the CA gold rush in the Chinese camps and some of the bolder 49ers tried it and liked it. Better than the slop they were used to. American "Chinese" food was born.
First place that sprang to mind - Far East, in Little Tokyo:

... but they don't actually serve chop suey!

The stuff you're talking about isAmerican Chinese food”... but that doesn't stop me from loving the stuff.

My mom always loved Egg Foo Young, and was very sad when it became virtually impossible to find.

Then I discovered Won Kok in Chinatown. They have all the old classics and it tastes just like it did back in the 1970s.

I order shrimp Egg Fu Young practically every time I go there.

I love the place, and go there as often as possible, but be warned - I've had a few friends, with more modern, refined tastes... and they think Won Kok is greasy and awful.

I think it's greasy and terrific!