View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
At first this new rendering looked radically different from what I was expecting (I was still expecting "1930 New York skyscraper look", which I REALLY like and wish this still was.)

But it's not so different from this rendering that fenwick16 had posted previously.

One thing I missed all along was that this had been bumped up to 24 stories, but I see above that this may count the Lower Water Street structure. So the tower itself is probably still 19?

(I just counted the apparent floors in the two renderings, and it looks like 19 to 21 plus the "cupola". Really hard to tell.)
I just counted up the tower in that rendering and got 21 + the green cupola. If you start at the Lower Water elevation, the podium adds two more floors, bringing it to 23 + the cupola. If the cupola contains habitable space, then that would account for 24 floors.

I'm still very interested in the makeup of the cupola. Some have said it is a copper (or copper-like) cladding. If so, I doubt it is an occupied floor. On the other hand, the rendering appears to show it as translucent. I.e., I can see the "hidden" lines of back-facing geometry, whereas upon inspection, the rest of the model is opaque - except where there are windows. This leads me to wonder if it is not a glazed space, maybe an arboretum, lounge, or otherwise. If so, this would be pretty amazing. Imagine it lit up from inside at night!