View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Lunch in the car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Anyhow, when the conversation turned to dine-in-your-car restaurants, wasn't the allusion to the places that used to exist where a waitress (usually on skates) would bring you a tray which was fastened to your car door? She'd take your order and bring it to you as well, so it was full service, IIRC. (I'm a little too young to have seen these places except in old movies.) As for the roller skates, it almost sounds like a cliched stereotype, but if you stop to think about it I'm not sure how else those waitresses could have done their jobs.

Still, even then I wouldn't have wanted to eat in the car, if my interior was white leather.
Those Who Squirm

When I was 4 or 5 years old we would occasionally eat in these Los Angeles Drive-In restaurants. It was very novel and fun in those days. There was always a lot of adjusting and fiddling with the tray attachments. The man in the photo seems to be helping the carhop girl. The interior of the car would be filled with the aroma of hamburgers and fries. Although we were cautioned to be careful, we always ended up with some salt and a scrap of lettuce in the seat. The first carhops appeared in 1921.

LAPL

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM.